I suggest we ...

Allow Implicit Interface Implementation

F# only supports explicit interface implementation with the price of unnecessary and excessive casting (also causes readability issues), potential confusion when working with other languages, and causes limitation with F#'s OOP that could be resolved without any major language change.

To expand on this, this post by Mauricio Scheffer describes the issue very well: http://bugsquash.blogspot.co.il/2009/01/implementing-interfaces-in-f.html

In addition, I'm sure I could argue that people would prefer to just write `identifier.Member` rather than `(identifier :> Type).Member` whenever the member is a signature provided by an interface.
This repeats quite a bit on average and it is messy, to say the least.

It should also be pointed out that even though F# is primarily functional (and interfaces are less of an issue), F# code is still being used from other languages, and also some domains and tasks could be easier to take on from an OO approach.
(I am also finding very high limitations with using WPF & XAML with some MVVM approaches)

Currently the workaround would be to copy-paste the signatures for every member of an interface.

69 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mastr MasticMastr Mastic shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaulPaul commented  · 

I personally prefer the requirement for explicit interface implementation. But if you’re using WPF and not providing a proxy to allow WPF to access to a chosen interface an attribute like CLIMutableAttribute would be better. This would cause the decorated interface to additionally be compiled to Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) representation implicitly (but not exposed to f# code), allowing WPF binding to work. CLIMutableAttribute was added to F# 3.0 and adding this related attribute (called something like CLIImplicitInterface) to F# 4.0 would be a great addition, which would ease GUI development with F#.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh289724(v=VS.110).aspx
        http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fsharpteam/archive/2012/07/19/more-about-fsharp-3.0-language-features.aspx

interface [<CLIImplicitInterface>] ISomeInterface with
        member __.Foo = 42

• Reed Copsey, Jr.Reed Copsey, Jr. commented  · 

I'd very much like this - and have run into this issue with WPF myself.

My preference would to allow this via an attribute like many other features - something like:

interface [<ImplicitInterface>] ISomeInterface with
        member __.Foo = 42

This would align with how [<AbstractClass>] and similar are handled.

• Jack PappasJack Pappas commented  · 

@Mastr Mastic Admittedly, I do very little GUI programming, so I haven't run into the situation you described. The additional explanation you added makes a lot of sense, and I think you've made some good arguments for why this feature *should* be implemented. This would be a big change to the language though, and might also pose some challenges w.r.t. to type inference, so the more examples you can provide where the current behavior (explicit interface implementations only) is holding you back, the better.

• Mastr MasticMastr Mastic commented  · 

@Jack Pappas No worries there I think, this pretty much has to stay as default for the language so not to break existing-code (which I'm sure is one primary concern for the F# team).

I do like the idea of the compiler flag very much and also I think attributes, keywords, or different syntax would be required to get more specific from one instance to another within the same compilation.

Thanks for your input.

• Mastr MasticMastr Mastic commented  · 

I'd like to expand a bit further on what I've mentioned about WPF and MVVM.
        This issue makes F# not reliable for your view-models because other than being cumbersome and tedious (`{Binding Property}` becomes {`Binding Path=(namespace:InterfaceType.Property)}` for each property.
        (You have to type `Path=` to avoid an exception)) it also introduces limitations.

For instance, one limitation that shows up frequently is that WPF DataTemplates do not support interfaces, yet passing an interface is your only way to expose your members because they are explicit.
        (See: http://stackoverflow.com/a/327993/825637)

• Jack PappasJack Pappas commented  · 

I personally prefer the requirement for explicit interface implementation and would like to continue to enforce that requirement in my own codebase, so if this feature were implemented I would like to have a compiler option to disable it (or perhaps, it should be disabled by default and activated by a compiler flag).

Feedback and Knowledge Base