F# Language

This User Voice was for suggestions about the future evolution of the F# Language and Core Library.

I suggest we ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Syntactically describe dependencies between files (by using '#requires', '#load' or extending 'open' syntax)

With F# becoming more and more multi-editor and cross-platform, it is becoming increasingly difficult to teach all build/edit tools about F#'s file order. The F# community are currently struggling to "update" each new build/edit tool to understand that F# actually needs a file order.

Part of the problem is that there is no standard textual way to specify this file order except as command line arguments, and these are not stored in an editable form. There is no standard way to specify the F# file order. We need an (optional) solution to this problem that is closer to home and…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stronger type directed conversion from functions to .Net delegates

It seems in some cases type directed conversion from functions to .Net Func<_,_> delegates only works if the called method has overloads. It would be convenient if it worked the same way for methods without overloads as well.

For example:

open System.Linq
    let even n = n % 2 = 0
    let seqA = seq { 0..2..10 }

seqA.Where(even) // works
    seqA.All(even) // does not work

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23256355/passing-f-function-to-ienumerable-where-vs-ienumerable-all

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12933366/f-func-type-inference-difference-between-seq-and-pseq-todictionary

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support C#-like Anonymous Types in F#

Commonly I want to return some named values, or sequence of named values, in some expression. Currently I am forced to either go through the additional effort of defining a type, or use a tuple (with its associated error-proneness if there are multiple values of the same type). Anonymous record types would be very useful and would eliminate one of the areas of additional verbosity compared to C#.

215 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. #package directive to import NuGet packages in F# interactive

It would be quite useful for F# interactive to support a #package directive to allow NuGet packages to be downloaded from within the REPL. I think it would be best if this directive simply downloaded the package, unpacked it, and automatically included (#I) the correct folder based on the framework version F# interactive is running under (e.g., net45). If a package doesn't include assemblies for the specific framework version F# interactive is using, we'd automatically include the folder for the latest framework version which is compatible; e.g., if running on .NET 4.5 and a package only includes a 'net40' folder,…

248 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide covariance/contravariance language support with syntaxes in F# in sync with covariance/contravariance in C#/VB

Covariance/contravariance has its beginning in CLR 2.0 and also with the introduction of generics in .NET 2.0 (also in F#, C# and VB)

Then in C# 4.0 and VB 10, we have covariance/contravariance supports in the language itself. Currently we don't have support for these covariance and contravariance in F#.

I know it is a runtime feature of CLR 2.0 and 4.0 and I don't want to play catch up with C# and VB.

But this covariance/contravariance support in C# and VB are powerful to use and also have proven to provide cleaner and clearer ways to understand the code…

150 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Syntax for turning properties into functions

When we have F# records and classes (including the ones generated by type providers), we end up having to write things like this a lot:

(fun x -> x.Name)

It would be nice to have some shorthand for this, similar to what we can do with static members (but nicer than the Scala syntax please)

457 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Optional and named parameters on let bindings on modules

Optional and named parameters are supported in static methods, but not in let bindings on modules. This many times forces you to use a static class instead of a module, which has some inconvenients. Ocaml has this, so I'm guessing is doable.

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base