I suggest we ...

Lift parameter names from the callee

if I have a method with parameters, and close one of the params with another method call, I lose all parameter names unless I copy and paste them:
```
let internal save connection apptId apptPatientId apptPatientInfoId apptProviderScheduledId apptFacilityId apptStartTime apptEndTime apptTypeId apptStatus apptBillingStage apptLoS apptCheckInFlag apptCheckInTime apptCheckOutTime apptForeignEhrId apptAccidentRelated apptAccidentId apptAccidentDate apptAccidentState presentingCondition notesToBiller isChecked apptPrimaryGuarantorType admitStatus (admitFacilityId:int Nullable) referralPcp =

let admitStatus = if String.IsNullOrEmpty(admitStatus) then null else admitStatus
getScalar connection false (fun db -> db.UspAppointmentsInsUpd(apptId, apptPatientId, apptPatientInfoId, apptProviderScheduledId, apptFacilityId, apptStartTime, apptEndTime, apptTypeId, apptStatus, apptBillingStage, apptLoS, apptCheckInFlag, apptCheckInTime, apptCheckOutTime, apptForeignEhrId, apptAccidentRelated, apptAccidentId, apptAccidentDate, apptAccidentState, presentingCondition, notesToBiller, isChecked, apptPrimaryGuarantorType,admitStatus=admitStatus,admitFacilityId=admitFacilityId,referralPcp=referralPcp))
```

then want to close the first parameter with

```
let SaveConn con = save (SqlConn.Conn con)
```

I lose all the remaining parameter names on the tooltip.

Instead I have to do the following

```
let Save apptId apptPatientId apptPatientInfoId apptProviderScheduledId apptFacilityId apptStartTime apptEndTime apptTypeId apptStatus apptBillingStage apptLoS apptCheckInFlag apptCheckInTime apptCheckOutTime apptForeignEhrId apptAccidentRelated apptAccidentId apptAccidentDate apptAccidentState presentingCondition notesToBiller isChecked apptPrimaryGuarantorType admitStatus admitFacilityId referralPcp connString =
save (ConnectionString connString) apptId apptPatientId apptPatientInfoId apptProviderScheduledId apptFacilityId apptStartTime apptEndTime apptTypeId apptStatus apptBillingStage apptLoS apptCheckInFlag apptCheckInTime apptCheckOutTime apptForeignEhrId apptAccidentRelated apptAccidentId apptAccidentDate apptAccidentState presentingCondition notesToBiller isChecked apptPrimaryGuarantorType admitStatus admitFacilityId referralPcp
```

My suggestion is to lift the remaining parameters needed to finish the method call from the callee

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brandon D'Imperio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Don Syme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think we will do this suggestion: the better thing is to redesign an API when there are soooo many parameters, per the comment below.

• Sehnsucht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aside the current suggestion ; that's a lot of parameter, maybe all those apptXXX args should be in their own type, a record for example (and that way you can "dot into" it and have the field names as a hint when the function is "lifted")

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base