I suggest we ...

Code clarity: To change the default value returned by function Unchecked.defaultof<string> to "" from null

I suggest changing the default value returned by function Unchecked.defaultof<string> to "" from null. I think the function should return a value of type string indicating an empty string "" as expected by a majority of language users who writes string processing code.
Null indicates that there is no value at all.

I am inclined to think from my own experience that null returned by Unchecked.defaultof<string> leads to unnecessary complications in the code dealing with value names of type string, namely in the form of mandatory checks both for "" and null, instead of a check for "" only in situations when you expect to encounter an empty string.

The change suggested in the F# language will allow writing more simple and clear code for string processing.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Alexei Odeychuk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Richard Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I get where you're coming from, I don't think that changing what Unchecked.defaultof<> does is a good idea because: (a) it's a breaking change and (b) it's the equivalent of default(T) in other .NET languages.

I'd love for F# to support the idea of types that have a sensible default value (such as "" for strings, 0 for ints, [] for lists) but I don't know how you'd do it without support for higher kinds first.

Note: We *sort of* have this with static type member constraints, but unfortunately there's no common member name from .NET type to .NET type. Int defines 'Zero' (through F# extensions), String defines 'Empty', and I'm not sure if Array defines anything at all.

• Dax Fohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a breaking change and would break the "principle of least surprise" for anyone coming from C#. I see the value but don't see this ever happening.

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base