I suggest we ...

Add triple-questionmark not yet implemented operator (???) from Scala

In Scala, there is an operator `???`, which is used as a "Convenient as a placeholder for a missing right-hand-side of a method."

This is defined as follows:
def ??? : Nothing = throw new NotImplementedError

In F# I would imagine that we'd define it something like:

[<GeneralizableValue>]
let ???<'a> = raise (NotImplementedException())

Unfortunately, ??? is not a valid name, which is why a library solution won't solve this problem.

The major merit of including this in F#, is that it provides a standardized way to declare incomplete parts of the code, allowing users and tooling to detect this.

You can read the original reasoning by Martin Odersky here at http://www.scala-lang.org/old/node/11113.html

Finally, an article offering more explanation as to it's value and usage can be found here:
http://alvinalexander.com/scala/what-does-three-question-marks-in-scala-mean

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dzmitry Lahoda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be good if F# to support
    ```
    let undefined () = raise NotImplemented
    ```
    I.e. omit `Exception` after raise like with `Attribute`s and new without `()`

• Gauthier Segay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe a library solution is good enough:

let undefined () = raise (System.NotImplementedException())

• Alexei Odeychuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Varon, did you consider any other options, for example:
    1) Simple comment: // ??? to be done
    You can find an uncompleted code fragment in your source code file using Ctrl+F in the Visual Studio and writing: “??? to be done”.

2) Toggle a breakpoint in the Visual Studio when necessary to mark an uncompleted fragment of your code. So, you can run and test your code before a breakpoint.

3) let valueToBeDeveloped<'a>(param1, param2) = Unchecked.defaultof<'a>

// if your function has to return a value of unit type
    or: let valueToBeDeveloped<'a>(param1, param2) = ()

instead of: let valueToBeDeveloped<'a>(param1, param2) = ???

The already-existing in F# function Unchecked.defaultof<'a> returns the default value of any type and has a much more readable English name than "???". Paired with a comment describing your intent "to write the body of expression here", such a fragment of your code would be easy-to-understand.

As to maintenance of code containing "???". Code maintenance takes 50% (pro-level mid-size apps) to 90% (large, long-lived apps containing several million lines of code intended to be in use for 5 to 20 years) of time professional programmers spent on software projects. So, how much would "???" say about intents of authors of code to a programmer newly assigned to maintain such a project?

Of course, most of the programming languages borrow new language features from others in order to survive and boost their competitive strengths. But from code readability and maintenance perspective, I see no competitive advantages for F# to borrow this syntax from Scala. I think F# has a better syntax (mentioned in point 3) in this respect as of today.

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base