I suggest we ...

Allow [<DefaultValue>] on member val auto-properties

This is specifically motivated by my issues with using Entity Framework and how it initializes DbSet<'T> elements. There might be other applications.

In order to correctly interact with EF in C# I may use:
public DbSet<RecType> Records { get; set }

To accomplish the same thing in F# I must;
[<DefaultValue>]
let mutable private _Records: DbSet<RecType>
member x.Records with get() = x._Records and set value = x._Records <- value

Not doing so causes the EF wire-ups to be lost when the regular member init-assign is called.

I believe that it would be beneficial to allow the following:
[<DefaultValue>]
member val Records: DbSet<RecType> with get, set

This would remove a good deal of boilerplate code and more expressively describe what's going on.

Thank you for your consideration.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Reed Adams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Reed Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, Don. Thank you for reviewing my request.

The suggestion you've given is already among my personal attempts at limiting the verbosity, but this approach too does not solve the issue.

The problem in your suggested case is that the target is no longer a property (EF uses DbSet<> properties as injection markers) but has been demoted to a regular field, which can be DefaultValue'd, but isn't a property, and so EF ignores this element.

To date, the only way that I have managed to avoid this problem is with an explicit backing store (your suggestion is suitable for that purpose) that is DefaultValue'd accompanied by the manual property machinery for get and set. It seems that in all cases of F# property use, the value initializer for the property is happening after EF has setup all of its hooks into the object, effectively wiping them out. Bummer :/

If there is anything else you would like me to test I'm happy to do so.

Thank you again for your time.

• Don Syme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not certain, but does this work?

type C() =
        [<DefaultValue>]
        val mutable Records: DbSet<RecType>

??

• Reed Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the problem. That changes the type away from the required EF DbSet<> to an IQueryable<QuerySource<,>> as well as not solving the underlying issue of late-assigning the initializer value, which is overwriting property hook wire-ups used by EF.

The code you posted isn't really equivalent since C# doesn't require property initializers. When the GC allocates memory for the (C#) class it's zero-set for the size of the class and then no further action is taken. F# does this, but then additionally sets the init-value during construction. This is an extra value-set step that C# lacks, and in this case kills the work EF has already done. This is why [<Defaultvalue>] on an F# field prevents the need for an explicit initializer value and prevents the described problem, at the cost of much additional code to facilitate the solution.

I was hopeful for it to work, but it just wasn't so.

• Daniel Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reed, an equivalent translation of your C# to F# would be:

member val Records = Unchecked.defaultof<_> with get, set

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base