Gustavo Guerra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Surya Halim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with this suggestion. IIRC, one of the reasons given was the access of protected data member defined in base class inside a closure caused very tricky situation because the closure technically should not be able to access the data member. C# solved this through clever compiler trick. Why can't this clever compiler trick be applied to F#? Will it defeat the type soundness of F# as a programming language?

I love F# for being a non-dogmatic functional-first programming language and this missing feature does indeed dampen the expectation a little.

• Troy Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scala has it. C# has it. Let's do it! I can't replicate certain classes in my arsenal without it!

• Jack Pappas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one feature I'd really like to see in F#, and it seems like it should be very simple to implement. If the 'protected' modifier was omitted from the language to nudge developers away from OO-style code, I think that may have been the wrong way to go about it, because it makes it impossible to re-implement OO-heavy C# projects in F# in such a way that the change is transparent to any consumers. Consequently, I've had to pass on using F# to replace some C# projects -- the downside of having to re-architect large parts of an existing codebase because F# classes can't declare 'protected' members is very often going to outweigh any upsides that could be had from re-implementing a single project in F#.

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base