I suggest we ...

#package directive to import NuGet packages in F# interactive

It would be quite useful for F# interactive to support a #package directive to allow NuGet packages to be downloaded from within the REPL. I think it would be best if this directive simply downloaded the package, unpacked it, and automatically included (#I) the correct folder based on the framework version F# interactive is running under (e.g., net45). If a package doesn't include assemblies for the specific framework version F# interactive is using, we'd automatically include the folder for the latest framework version which is compatible; e.g., if running on .NET 4.5 and a package only includes a 'net40' folder, we'd include (#I) that folder. I believe this behavior is consistent with how NuGet currently works when referencing packages from a project, e.g., in Visual Studio.

#package should not, however, automatically reference (#r) the assemblies included in the package, in case you only want to reference some of them.

Here's a usage example:

#package "ExtCore.0.8.41"
#r "ExtCore.dll";;

let substr = substring "Hello World!"
printfn "Value: %O" substr;;

248 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jack Pappas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

F# Language