I suggest we ...

Make the .Tag property public in DUs

A common problem I encounter is when I need to group a list of incuming DU values according to branch. Having the .Tag property public would make this as simple as writing

values |> Seq.groupBy (fun v -> v.Tag)

At the moment, this can only be achieved either by cumbersomely defining a custom tag function or by using reflection.

For the ML purists that don't like the idea of a property, this could also be achieved through the definition of a static method, for instance

UnionType.GetInternalBranchRepresentationValue : UnionType -> int

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eirik George TsarpalisEirik George Tsarpalis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Don SymeDon Syme commented  · 

I generally approve of this particular suggestion and think it would make a good addition to F#. (I don't think the loss of purity (e.g. wr.t. ordering of union cases) is a critical problem and I believe you can turn of the DefaultAugmentation in any case)

Some technical issues may need to be ironed out during implementation.

If this is done, the Is* properties present on these types should also be revealed, that is covered by a separate item.

An implementation and testing would need to be provided by someone in the F# community (possibly including Microsoft or Microsoft Research, though not limited to them).

Implementations of approved language design can now be submitted as pull requests to the "fsharp4" branch of https://visualfsharp.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest.

I'd be glad to help guide people through the implementation process.

If you strongly think this should _not_ be approved please chime in with your technical feedback.

Thanks
        Don Syme, current BDFL for F# Language Design

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base