I suggest we ...

Mezzo/Rust-like features for F# code to be data-race free

Languages like Mezzo, Rust and the M# language (internal to Microsoft) either have or are looking at adding type system features that track the status of references that give access to shared memory.

Shared-memory coding is less prevalent in F# because of its functional ans Async features, and because of powerful concurrency collections in the .NET class libraries.

However writing code with data-races is still possible when using mutable data.

There is a fairly large and non-trivial design space to addressing this problem, but some type-based techniques are starting to mature. If done "right" they can make writing high-performance concurrent, shared memory code "data-race free", that is, some F# code would be provably data-race free.

Given the design of F#, there would likely be "back doors" to this feature, especially when libraries are used. It's status would be somewhat like "Checked arithmetic".

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Don Syme shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Don Syme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going to decline this suggestion (which was made by me) because it is too vague.

More concrete proposals welcome!!

• Phylos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like it would be a wonderful addition to F#, helping to make it the language of choice for writing safe and robust software for the .NET platform.

• Jonathan Protzenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disclaimer: I am the author of Mezzo; I am also not proficient in F#, especially the internals of the type-checking algorithm.

Such an addition would be great; however, the way I see it, there are a few difficulties.
    - There needs to be a way to easily opt-out of the extended checks. The type system may be very smart, but it will never cover all possible patterns. The user should be able to either use run-time checks (locks?) or assert statically "I know what I'm doing" and disable the extended checks, possibly locally.
    - Somehow related to the first point, we should be careful about not contaminating other codebases. In our experience with Mezzo, we often witnessed a library offer a "strong" interface that enforces data-race freedom, only to see clients of this library struggle to use it. As long as there's a way to easily opt-out of the extended checks, this should not be an issue.
    - Having an easy way to convert existing codebases is also key to success. Regardless of the technical means that underpin this feature, users should be able to convert codebases piecewise.
    - Implementation-wise, this would probably require changes to the type-checker. I don't know if it is unification-based or uses a flow-sensitive type-checking algorithms. It may be easier to implement these checks in the latter case. There's also the question of whether this should be a separate analysis or directly implemented deep within the type-checker. We chose the latter option for Mezzo, but are still unsure whether the former might have been easier.

François and I wrote this paper where we recount the story of Mezzo and try to figure out what worked, what didn't, and what could've been done better <http://gallium.inria.fr/~fpottier/publis/fpottier-protzenko-lessons-mezzo.pdf>. Hopefully, there's some knowledge in there that may be useful.

I'll follow this topic and I'll happily answer more technical questions, if any :).

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base