I suggest we ...

Revise the reserved keyword list (e.g. remove "method")

The keyword "method" is currently reserved for future use.

In many web programming scenarios "method" refers to the HTTP method (GET/POST) and the fact that you currently have to escape the keyword and write ``method`` is annoying. Calling function parameter "meth" instead works (though some people may find this an unfortunate naming ;-)), but it is against F# coding guidelines. And furthermore, this only helps when you're defining the API, but sometimes you need to consume C# API that already has "method" as optional argument.

I think that the F# community is quite happy with using the name "member" for declaring all members (including methods, properties and events) and I don't really think there is a need for keeping "method" reserved.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tomas Petricek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gusty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, to be fair all reserved keywords should be reviewed. For instance I would be very happy to have keywords available like 'const' which is a very common combinator. If it is not included in the F# core at least give us the option to define it in our libs. Can we also extend the review to operators? Why is $ alone allowed but not composed with other operators?

• Don Syme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tomas - could you possibly extend the proposal to assess the entire reserved-keyword list please? If we're going to revise the list, we should do it wholesale.

cheers!
        don

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base