I suggest we ...

Lazy properties

A big problem of records and discriminated unions is that they cannot store computed ("memoized") data. For example, you cannot have a linked list store its own length without having it as a constructor parameter (which has obvious problems). The ability to cache computed data is a big advantage of immutable objects, because the data will never change and thus never needs to be recalculated.

A very simple and elegant solution to this problem is having lazy properties. A lazy property is backed by lazy<'a> field behind the scenes. Here is an example of syntax: https://gist.github.com/Springwight/ae423184487a1d6fc831

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Greg Rosenbaum shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Don Syme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I appreciate the effort to make common tasks simple, as it stands I don't think this suggestion fits well with the F# language design.

- Adding "lazy" to a member would bee odd, since members are already computed on-demand.

- It is fairly easy to amortize a member in a class by adding an explicit "let x = lazy ..." binding. In a record, an auxiliary class containing static data can be used.

- There are several ways to implement laziness (e.g. is a lock taken during execution, is a "null" used to indicate a not-yet-computed value etc.) and it is in general better to make this explicit - apart from the built-in "lazy" for expression level constructs.

Lastly, I guess it goes without saying that there is a very high bar for new declaration constructs since effectively all F# programmers will need to understand them.

F# Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base